Sunday, April 27, 2008

Why should you bother reading this?

I've been MIA for a couple weeks, cause I've been thinking about this blog and what needs to happen for it to be, well, worth reading. When I started it, I knew I liked traveling (and to be honest, who doesn't) and I knew I was good at planning trips. But how do you turn that into a blog? Especially one that stands out among the millions out there on the Web.

Here's the thing. No matter who reads this blog, it's worth it to me, because I have a spot where I can journal where I've been, what I liked there, so that if I decide to go back, I don't have to rely on my memory. Mine isn't the best, and I'm only 26 so I can only imagine what it'll be like later.

But the problem is that I'm not satisfied with just blogging when I travel, since that'd be, oh, twice a year. And I'm not satisfied with just doing this for me. By blogging about travel, I was hoping to do two things. One - inspire others to visit the places I've been, and equip them with a list of great places to go and things to do when they go. Second, I hoped that at some point, people would contact me for help researching their trips, so that I can stop watching America's Top Model reruns on MTV in my free time. I'm only half kidding.

So to keep my blogging dreams going, I'll also be writing about all the places here in Northeast Ohio that'll make you feel like you're on vacation, even if you're just leaving town for a few hours. Like did you know you could hop on a bus and ride to Chicago for a buck each way? Plus, since a blog is just as much about the person writing it as it is about the people reading it. I want YOUR ideas. YOUR favorite spots.

The thing is, I don't have the same interests as every traveler. I'm not into tourist traps. I don't care for five-star restaurants. I like to explore a city on foot. I like eating at places where I can wear jeans and fit in. I like going to wineries. I love warm weather. But I think what I'm good at, no matter whether I'm looking for a diner or art museum, is doing enough research so that when I get to where I'm going, I've got a list of things to choose from. That way, I can still wake up, go with whatever mood I'm in (and whoever I'm traveling with is in) and know that whatever I pick from the list, it'll be good. And I want to help other people do the same thing.

Basically, I want to make this a forum for travelers in Cleveland. So starting now, I'll be writing about what it takes to get out of Cleveland. Because we all need to, and it's not as hard (or expensive) as you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how involved with technology our daily lives have become. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further develops, the possibility of copying our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about all the time.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://quizilla.teennick.com/stories/16129580/does-the-r4-or-r4i-work-with-the-new-ds]R4[/url] DS OperaV2)